- The competition is open to all Jamaican nationals and persons residing in Jamaica for at least three (3) years
- Entrants must be eighteen (18) years of age or older
- Entry forms must be completed by submitting the names, gender, age, addresses, home, work and fax numbers, and email addresses of Entrants. This information will not be published or released to a third party without the knowledge and consent of the Entrants
- Entrants must be holders of valid passports and U.S. visas
- Directors, members of staff of the P.C.J. and its Subsidiaries and the Ministry of Industry, Technology, Energy and Commerce and their immediate family members are not eligible to participate in the competition. Immediate family members include spouses, children, parents, grandparents, grandchildren, and siblings
- Essays should be submitted as Microsoft Word documents on 8 ½" x 11" paper using Times New Roman or Arial fonts at 12 point font size
- Essays should be formatted using double line spacing
- All sources of information must be cited
- Insert page numbers and indent paragraphs
- Essays should not exceed 2,500 words (not including bibliographic data and notes) and are to be submitted in triplicate
- Essays may also be submitted electronically to email@example.com
- Essays that are not submitted electronically should be placed in a sealed envelop addressed to:
"Adult Essay Competition"
C/O The Petroleum Corporation of Jamaica
36 Trafalgar Road
- A receipt will be issued for each entry
- Closing date for entries is September 22, 2006 at
- The essay should have a clear thesis statement stating the purpose of the essay in the opening paragraph
- The introduction should grasp the reader's attention
- The individual body paragraphs should focus on a single clear purpose as outlined in the topic sentence
- The essay should conclude either in a separate paragraph or, less commonly, by making a final point that brings together all the previous points
Each point should be made convincingly, with ample details and or explanation
The essay should include information from at least four (4) sources other than the author. These may be personal interviews, published articles, or Internet sources. The sources should be reputable, lending some amount of credibility to the author's position or information.
· Credit will be given for originality.
· Credit will be given for demonstrated knowledge of the topic chosen, grammar, spelling, sentence structure, style and presentation.
· The writer should competently employ standard written English grammar, mechanics and spelling.
Disqualification: - The essay will be disqualified if it falls under any of the following conditions:
- Submitted after the deadline given above
- Does not speak to any of the topics set out above